+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Chevelle SS Paint

Question 1970 Chevelle SS Paint

A friend of mine has a 1970 Chevelle SS clone and makes no excuses about it when it comes to its authenticity.

He painted it Shadow Gray Metallic and added black stripes.

We were wondering what Model years (<2>) did Chevrolet use that color paint and was it strictly used on Super Sports, and in 1970, how many Chevelle Super Sports were built with that color? Also, was 1970 the only year it was available? Engines, trannys, convertables, options, assembly plants, and/or other combinations are irrelevent.

Thanks in advance.....
    Last edited by Six Actual; 11-27-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.....

Default Re: 1970 Chevelle SS Paint

John,

Shadow Gray was not exclusive to SS cars, I've seen quite a few Malibus with that paint code. Unfortunately there are no records available as to how many 1970 models were painted in a given color let alone broken down any further by cars with different options. It's one of my favorite 1970 colors and not seen around that often.
    Tom Rightler, Vice President; Maryland Chevelle Club
    MCC Newsletter Editor

Thumbs up Re: 1970 Chevelle SS Paint

Thanks, Tom. There was no interest in the breakdown on various optioned cars, just the quantity of how many were produced in 1970, and was that the only year that it was used.

At least I know that color was not specific to SS cars.

His car is in my garage now and it's under my bed, one floor below me, until the time he finishes the paint job on mine. I have the keys and I am holding it....uhhmmm as collateral.

In 1970, the only color I "thought" was available on SS cars was Red.

That's only because there's 100 times more red cars now then Chevrolet ever made
    Tom Rightler, Vice President; Maryland Chevelle Club
    MCC Newsletter Editor

The only years with specific SS colors I'm aware of are 1964 (Goldwood Yellow), 1965 (Evening Orchid, Glacier Gray, and Crocus Yellow), and 1969 (Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow).

Here's a nice 70 Malibu in Shadow Gray on my ChevelleStuff website.

GM probably did keep track of color choices internally if for no other reason to see what sold. It wasn't until 1975 when colors were listed as an option (instead of a choice) that figures are known. See http://chevellestuff.net/1975/options_by_model.htm

Welcome to ChevelleStuff!
    DaleM

Thanks, Dale. Once again my friend said that "he heard" that color was only offered on 1970 Chevelle Super Sports.

Awhile back, he told me that "he heard" that the chrome (strips) eyebrows that are located on the fender extensions on a '70, were only available for LS-6 cars. Believing that, he just HAD to put them on his car. It should be noted that Tom R. informed me that it was an Option on Chevelles/Maibus, and not strictly limited to LS-6's, which is correct. (Thanks, Tom)

I have NO idea where my friend obtains these myths from?
    Wait a sec, I just thought of somewhere where he may find it.

He's an excellent bodyman and painter, but lacks a bit of knowledge when it comes to the Options on these cars, and is also lacking somewhat in the engine/performance department.

I sent him a link to this site and a link to the Index you provided to me in your post above. Maybe he'll stop asking me about these myths after he reads the info contained in your site.

Thanks again...

I own two original shadowgray cars, one is an SS car and the other is a 6 cylinder car with white interior. So it is not exclusive to SS cars as said above. I know it is claimed to be a rare color, but more and more of them keep showing up around my area.

Ray
    70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built.
    http://s777.photobucket.com/home/shadowgray/allalbums

Chevelle and El Camino Club of Oregon http://www.chevelles.net/oregon/index.htm

Thanks to you as well, Ray.

Insofar as you owning two Shadow Gray cars, and had I not seen the pic of one, I would have never guessed their color paint were Shadow Gray. J/K

It is a really nice color.

They are great looking cars this color. I like them better then resale red. Still working on my SS

Last edited by Shadowgray396; 11-30-2010 at 05:34 AM.
    70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built.
    http://s777.photobucket.com/home/shadowgray/allalbums

Chevelle and El Camino Club of Oregon http://www.chevelles.net/oregon/index.htm

Ray,

Wow, your car is really beautiful....

I think darker paint colors are "IN" these days. Sure, you see white, silver and a few lighter colors, but times, trends and perspectives have changed. I mean, how many Red vehicles of any type do you see these days? My SS is Red w/black stripes which back in January 1970, was really cool. When I ordered it, I NEVER even considered ordering a Gray or Black car, because once I saw it in a Car Magazine that my Mother had sent (late 1969) me and seeing the sales brochure, I was hooked on Red.

Now, in hindsight, I kind of wish that I ordered a Black SS w/white stripes or a Gray one w/black stripes. Simply because they really look great and there's not many of them around which makes them "different." Had I not ordered my car and it being a numbers matching one, I would have had it repainted in either Black or Gray. At least I didn't order a black vinyl roof, which I don't really care for.

Two other vehicles I currently own are Black and one is Medium Gull Gray.....a little lighter in tone than your Shadow Gray car.

Add to: PM Sent
    Last edited by Six Actual; 11-30-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.....

+ Reply to Thread