+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 70 Convertible Resto

Default Re: 70 Convertible Resto

Man, every time I see that car, it looks more like it sat under water or at least sat out in the open somewhere. I have seen plenty of rust before but this one.............WOW! You will get it done, Tom and it will look great!
    Duke Mitchell
    CanAm pres.
    CanAm #8
    ACES # 3671

"Dynacorn has them but they won't release them."

Well that sucks....nothing worse than being "gun-ho" about a project and then hitting a wall

Do you have a good donor car you could cut up?

Dan
    Owner of....The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
    1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Leman Blue...SOLD
    1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
    1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan GulfStream Blue

I have a friend that has one in Maryland, but I haven't looked at it close enough to see if that area on that car is toast as well. I will be seeing him this coming Saturday at a Chevelle Club meeting so I will have him look then. I already started to fab up some pieces to fix that area. I'm hoping it will work, if not I'm going to have to go grab me a parts car
    Tom Rightler, Vice President; Maryland Chevelle Club
    MCC Newsletter Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Duke 69 View Post
    Man, every time I see that car, it looks more like it sat under water or at least sat out in the open somewhere. I have seen plenty of rust before but this one.............WOW! You will get it done, Tom and it will look great!
    I should have taken some pics of where I winched this thing out of . It was sitting in Grasonville, MD which is just east of Annapolis over the Bay Bridge on Kent Island, completely surrounded by salt water. It was sitting a bunch of tall grass, weeds in a low lying area that was holding A LOT of water. It was raining the day I picked it up too..that sure was fun! Here is a pic the day I got it after I winched it up on the trailer and got to another friend of mines house in Bowie, MD.

MCC Newsletter Editor

Tom..... where's the hood????
    70 Chevelle TBD...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
    Tom..... where's the hood????
    It flew off on US 50 coming over the Bay Bridge
    MCC Newsletter Editor

Like I said before Tom......you ARE a glutton for punishment! Let's see..salt water, weeds and debris, damp all the time....yeah that pretty much covers everything I think! Are you sure you didn't go get this thing with a boat? I sure will enjoy the resto. pics.
    Duke Mitchell
    CanAm pres.
    CanAm #8
    ACES # 3671

Thumbs up Re: 70 Convertible Resto

That car, without a doubt, is definitley a challenge for anyone, IMO, but I'm confident you'll get her done Tom, and I KNOW it will be the closest to Perfect it can ever be.

It does have a clean title, doesn't it? I'm only asking because of where it was sitting all those years prior to you reeling it out of there. Unless I missed something, it sounds as it was abandoned from your description. I'll still post this and re-read your post again.

It never seems to fail that as you cut deeper into a project car, you'll always find additional work that wasn't anticipated or worse than you originally thought. However, that's what this hobby sometimes involves and makes it so great. Please note that I said..."sometimes."

Thanks for posting the pics.......BUB!

The title is safely tucked away with the titles for the rest of the old cars .
    Since I had a free day off today, I figured it would be the perfect time to spend a whole day trying to get something accomplished. So with that in mind, here is what I did today. I fabricated pieces to repair the lower section of the door hinge post. To make it a little easier, I unbolted the front most body mounts and picked the whole front of the shell up with my cherry picker. That gave me full access to cut out the crap and get in there with the welder. I still have to make 1 small piece and trim up & shape the right side repair which I'll do one night this week. After this is done, the floor can go in, probably this weekend.

MCC Newsletter Editor

Kinda like Johnny Cash "built" his car....one piece at a time! You're on your way now! Keep the progress pics coming, too.
    Duke Mitchell
    CanAm pres.
    CanAm #8
    ACES # 3671

+ Reply to Thread